Advanced Downward Dog Pose:
- STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION
- COMMON MISTAKE
- TRY OUT THIS
Benefits of Advanced Downward Dog Pose:
- Its major benefits lie in opening of hips (pelvis) and strengthening upper body.
- The pose like Down dog, is highly effective in strengthening ankles, toes and knees while stretching the shoulders, back and calves.
- It lengthens the muscles, thus, increasing the range of motion and flexibility.
- It is also have been found very useful for women with menstrual problems and people with constant complain of indigestion.
Step by step instruction:
- While you get into the starting position, inhale deep and prepare you mind and body to push your hips towards the ceiling.
- Gently lift your hips upwards, unbending the knees and balancing weight on palms and sole. Slowly exhale as you do that.
- Try to keep your head held in a position and don’t let it hand between your arms.
- Hold the position for 15-30 seconds as a beginner. Later you must hold it even longer, say a minute or more. Breathe in once.
- Gently exhale and revert to the starting position. Do it twice in a practice along with other poses.
- If you feel exerted, rest in Child’s pose
Precaution of Advanced downward dog :
You should avoid doing this pose if you have a wrist injury or carpal tunnel syndrome. Pregnant women in their last trimester should also avoid doing this pose.
People should also avoid if they have high blood pressure, heart illness, vertigo, or a slipped disc in their spine.
Common Mistake of advanced downward dog
One quite common mistake is that the pose is too narrow, i.e. that the distance between the hands and the feet is too small. This is not a healthy position for the spine